Sunday, June 19, 2011

"Mr. Darling had a passion..."

Happy Father's Day!

Well, last year the birth date of Sir J.M. Barrie coincided with Mother's Day.  This year, Father's Day lands on the same day as the date that Barrie went to "the other place."  Granted, it must happen quite a bit and the Mother's Day connection had been of particular interest since it had been a milestone of 150.  (Today is one year shy of a milestone: 74)

Nevertheless, I like that the calendar lined up for both in a row.  Especially with a story that relies heavily on parents as influential characters.

I'm very excited to be able to share some pictures with you.  I wish I could say I took them myself, but alas, I did not.  They were sent to me by someone online and permission has been granted for me to repost them.  I've had them for nearly a year now... but I had to wait until today, obviously.

Here are a slew of pictures of Barrie's final resting place:



Sorry to post something a that could be construed as morbid for today... but I can't control the non-fictional calendar.
Thank you, Barrie!  We are all indebted to you for your fantastic parody of fatherhood in the story of Peter Pan.  By showing the stressful antics of a man who is only trying to do right by his family such as keeping the books tight and attempting to add levity to a situation, he shows us how difficult a job it is to keep a family running smoothly.  So here's to all the fathers (of all varieties - natural, step, adopted, in-law, figures...) in the world.  Applause to you for your often unappreciated and overlooked efforts of love. 

No comments: