Wednesday, June 22, 2011

3-D Falling Flat

Back on March 9 of last year, I ranted about 3-D movies.  To recap: Really?  Over & over and everything that comes to the screen?  Pick and choose what would work best and don't over-saturate.  It's getting tiresome.

If you don't believe me, how about the new movie version of S. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.  It will be in 3-D.  To quote Mrs. Estelle Costanza in SeinfeldMay I ask WHY?

And if you still don't believe me that this has becoming an annoying gimmick, apparently the film-going populace is also silently speaking out.  How?  Ticket sales for heavily promoted 3-D versions of movies are stacking in favor of their 2-D counterparts.  The article I read is here.

Future of film?  It didn't stick around the first time... why do they expect it to now that it's more flashy?

Don't get me wrong.  3-D is and can be cool.  And some films make perfect sense to be featured with that extra kick.  Just not every blasted thing that hits the screen.  It seems 3-D is only effective when it's rare.  It's only going to pop out at you when nothing else does.   Makes me wonder how the sales of 3-D TV are doing...

No comments: