Monday, June 6, 2011

Quoth Barrie & Me

Well, the test run of the illustration method for Peter Pan: Betwixt-and-Between turned out quite satisfying.  I also put in one of the characters (though most likely not one that would be expected.)  Thankfully that works rather well, too.  It should be fun to keep working at it.
Rackham
(not the "inspirational" drawing)

This little progress report  came about this way:  I'd been paging through Rackham's drawings for Barrie's Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens story (using this highly recommended book.)  I'd nodded my head, thinking that yes, so far the PP:B-a-B 'drawings' could be construed as sharing a relative kinship to his when I saw a caption underneath one of them.

That caption struck an idea.  It's nothing major, but it will be a nice use of a bit of Barrie.  And so, I need to add it to the novel.  It's not even going to be a new scene, rather a line or two which will tie it into his book a scooch more.  I wouldn't bother except that a particular scene in my book does warrant the callback from Barrie.

Now that I know the pictures will 'work' (and they also have Bart's approval) I suppose I now need to officially decide what the illustrations will be!

To quote Peter Pan's NeverWorld: Wisdom knows finished from done.

No comments: