Friday, May 1, 2009

Novel Novels

Here’s some wacky news from the land of the literary which I found on one of my favorite sites, Boing Boing.

Fantasy author Peter Brett wrote a book on an industrial-grade HP iPAQ. And if that doesn’t sound impressive (or delightfully insane) already… it’s a 100,000 word novel. He says: As I got faster and faster typing with my thumbs, I wound up just writing prose on it. After doing that for a while, and realizing I could do it from anywhere, I made a commitment to myself to write on the train everyday. I admire his tenacity. Although it’s a wonderful idea… to make creative use of otherwise ‘wasted’ time .... I’d imagine revisions would be a bitch. Sometimes one sentence becomes garbled up over and over into something else entirely… seems it would be frustrating to go back constantly on a small device like that. Bravo, sir! Quite productive.


A new work from author Jeff Burk:

It's the first ShatnerCon with William Shatner as the guest of honor! But after a failed terrorist attack by Campbellians, a crazy terrorist cult that worships Bruce Campbell, all of the characters ever played by William Shatner are suddenly sucked into our world. Their mission: hunt down and destroy the real William Shatner.

How on earth does one get away with this? First of all, it’s that strange “fictionalizing” of real people in an overly bizarre and slanderous (used hyperbolically) fashion. Plus, what about the rights to all of those characters? Jeepers. How does one even THINK of this book anyway? None of what I’ve said is meant to be taken as condemnation… just as a happy “What the hell?”


The Boing Boing posts for more info and links:
Novel on HP iPAQ
Shatnerquake

No comments: