Monday, April 21, 2008

Parents & Teachers Are Right...*sigh*

You’re not going to believe me. Then again, maybe you will.
For it certainly surprises me. Math is required to write fiction.
I’m not a math person. I respect math, I just don’t like it. I’d rather not do it. But parents and teachers are correct. You do need math to accomplish tasks.

Okay, so what on earth could be part of fiction writing that would necessitate math?
Oh, things like figuring out how long a character spent away in relation to her or his age when they left, dealing with time zones, the number of pages per chapter, making timelines of varying length (from minutes to eras), the amount of distance a character travels – many factors. These may not be the best examples. Maybe I’ll start making note of each time I find myself doing arithmetic to get the job done.
For to my chagrin, it comes up more often than I’d like.
C’est la vie.

No comments: