Saturday, October 18, 2008

GRAVy! (Sorry...sorry...couldn't resist!)




Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book is the best novel I’ve read in ages. I cared about his characters in a way that brought back memories of loving my own. I don’t mean that in any conceited way. It’s just that as you can imagine, your own characters become very dear to you. Gaiman’s creations brought me that same thrill, a sheer love for them and their well-being. The plot is simple, but compelling. It’s pure woven magic. Part of what makes it great is that the dangers are not grandiose troubles affecting the world. And yet, the danger is very real and very palpable for the characters. Since I adored the characters, I shared the immediacy of their formidable challenges and adversaries. But the thing is: It feels like one of those giant world-saving adventures.

It’s the story of Nobody Owens, the boy brought up in a graveyard. I really don’t want to tell you too much more about it. It’s best to just enter the world yourself. I did mention a little bit more in my first post when I bought it. Suffice to say that it ends up as fantastic tale of digging up the truth and burying that which should be dead, all with a charm as desirable as the dream of sleep.

I learned before I began to read it that it is a sort of play on Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. I thought it might have been nice not to have that information and wished I hadn't discovered it. Then why am I telling you? Because I’d been wrong. Knowing this fact does not detract in any way from enjoying the book. It only enhances the “flavor” of it. In fact, Gaiman has Acknowledgements at the end where he tells you himself about the creation of the book. Thank you, Mr. Gaiman, for including it. I found it delightful.

And more so, thank you for your book.
It’s one for the favorites shelf.

1 comment:

Pranaya Mathur said...

Really liked this one and that is quite a nice and interesting information.
Regards,
Nainital to Rishikesh Taxi Fare