Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October Begins with...

SPOOKY!
Indeed it did...
Exiting the train station today, I noticed a large (yes really, about two-thirds the size of my thumb) thin-legged spider wriggling on a strand from the ceiling. A strand so long the crawly critter came to chest height. I’m glad it hung on the other side of the hallway. But one guy did not fare as well… Not seeing it, he walked right into it. I turned away from the scene just as a horrified expression began to form. But he seemed to recover, as I could see him exiting via the vertical turnstyle. I would not have been okay for weeks, myself.

Tonight starts Opera Season for Bart and I. We will be attending Lyric Opera’s production of Manon, by Jules Massenet. It will be interesting, as Manon Lescaut by Giacomo Puccini is one of my absolute favorites. One might harken to this post as the operas are an adaptation of a 1731 novel L’histoire du chevalier des Grieux et de Manon Lescaut by the Abbé Prévost. Also, the amazing Natalie Dessay will be performing. If you had the good fortune to catch her as Lucia, you will know how incredible she truly is. One of my favorites, David Cangelosi, will be performing as well. It shall be wonderful. Plus, we get to see the friends we’ve made with fellow season ticket holders who sit around us and our favorite usher, whom we have also befriended.

I’m three-quarters through Lost by Gregory Maguire. I first mentioned it here. So far I’m enjoying it. It took a while get back into his thick prose. I mean that as a compliment. But once I did, it's zipping along. I had a wee bit of fun with it, as the perfect place for the word I invented arose. Maguire wrote: "You wouldn't have let her off the hook without taking a rough guess. Stop stringing me along." I couldn't help but change the last sentence to: Stop being filiquious. If you're not familiar with filiquious, see here.

Happy October. Happy Fall.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

I find the labels for this post HILARIOUS.