Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Note: Notes to Note!


Another great reader/fan sent along something to my attention.
My Heart in Company: The Work of J.M. Barrie & the Birth of Peter Pan
by Timothy G. Young

I ordered it just about right away.  How does a compilation of Barrie's notes sound?  Top drawer?  Yeah, for me too.  I wonder how many and which ones I'll remember... as in what and which will coincide with the notes I'd had at my disposal back in college when I composed Peter Pan's NeverWorld from his very musings.  I'll surely let you know once the book comes my way.  Here's a link.

As a bonus, this reader/fan (who generally goes by Z or ZZ) has a site up.  A rather nice one, in fact.  Yes, you guessed it.  It deals with the infamous eternal boy.  Please do have a gander.  I especially like what she's written about Peter Pan on the home page.  I just had more of a chance to poke around a little more... there are some essays that are intriguing.  Must get to them - if only I didn't have to go out in a little while.  Knowing me, I'll have a lot of 2 cents to throw in... Anyway, there's a good list (with pics) of Peter Pan books, both story and Barrie-biography related, like the book she sent my way.  I also really love the depiction of Pan on it, too.  Heavily influenced by Fox's Pan, but then, she's got a whole section about that terrific cartoon series.   And if you can bet I'm a fan of a little cape for him!

So please, click on over. Oh - and thanks, ZZ, for the site, the book and having links to me!

P.S. - Buttercup hasn't shown up quite yet, so I had a chance to look through the essays.  Good thoughts all around.  I do have some differences of opinion, but that's all they are, for as ZZ points out, much of the world of Pan is speculative.  I do have some answers to the queries posed - addressed in the seemingly-ever-upcoming (but will be worth it!) interquel of mine Peter Pan: Betwixt-and-Between.  Not that I have the definitive truths, but rest assured they're tinkered into the 'world' with utmost care.  But enough about me... go visit Fandomzz and get ZZ's thoughts too!

4 comments:

ZZOzturk said...

Oh wow! Thanks so much for this spectacular mention!

I am very happy you found my essays engaging. Can't wait to read your thoughts in the new novel!

Erik said...

I agree - it's a great site, and look fun and informative. However ... if I may nit-pick, Peter & Wendy was published in 1911, not 1914. And misspelling Andrew Birkin's name? or Tiger Lily's? Tsk tsk. But I don't want to sound too harsh - I look forward to seeing it being built up though - perhaps with a comments page? (hence the reason I'm commenting here.)

ZZOzturk said...

Fixed the mistakes. Thanks so much :)

ThatOneOstrich said...

Just ordered it! I am SO excited! Thanks for spreading the word about this wonderful tome! I can't wait for it to get here~

- Jesse R.