Friday, January 13, 2012

No, Not 'Ralph Waldo'


Reader (and fan, I believe) Lewelyn, whom I follow on Twitter, tweeted out liking this song called “Peter Pan” by Jacqueline Emerson. I decided to check it out.  I’m not in love with it, but it’s nice and sweet nevertheless.  It’s a good song.

Just a few comments -

First lyrics are:
Everyone's on a rocket ship
Leaving the earth ooh-oh-oh

Wow. Are they going to NeverWorld??

Another lyric is:

I am not like Peter Pan
I can't live forever in a Neverland

Why NOT?  Just the other day, Buttercup said to me (in a conversation about my life & such) and in such as way as that it seemed to 'dawn' on her:  You ARE Peter Pan.
I can do it, why not anyone?  Or maybe there is only one, eh?  ;)

Emerson (or the songwriter) seems to go on the belief that no one ages in the Neverland. As I’ve mentioned before, that is not true. It’s not NOT true, either. For more on how I think it works, it’s probably best to read about it in my upcoming interquel Peter Pan: Betwixt-and-Between. One of the aspects of the novel is this very dilemma.


Oh - the title of the post?  Well, I had to make that joke considering Michael Pan's penchant for Thoreau, no?

Enjoy!



1 comment:

Lewelyn said...

I am a fan of all kinds of Pan, pretty much all adaptations.

I follow your blog and I find your posts really interesting (without you I would have missed the Peter Pan exhibit in Paris) but I have yet to read your book (unfortunately unemployment forbids me to spend money on things that aren't absolutely necessary) but I will someday, for sure!

As for the whole "ageing" dilemma, Neverland you are cut from all things "grown-up", responsibilities and such. Maybe that's what people think of when they say you don't age there?

My vision is slightly tainted by all the adaptations I have come across (plus the fact that I read the book quite late) but I always saw it as a choice. That in Neverland you can chose to have what you want, do what you want, and be what you want (to a certain extent of course)

So what I understand is that if you were able to go to Neverland, then would be able to never age, if you wanted to (and tried hard enough)
I think people yearn for that kind of freedom.

Does that make sense?