Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Samuel Clemens... we hardly knew ye?

Love the wit and down-to-earth magic of Mark Twain? Wish he had more for you to read?
He does.
HarperStudio just released Who Is Mark Twain?, a collection of 24 “new” writings by the master American storyteller. Yes, work never before read by the general public.

I’m quite likely to go obtain a copy myself. Why not very likely? It’s kind of creepy, isn’t it?
Putting myself in Twain’s place, would I really want the scrawling I have lying around published posthumously? Not that there is anything to hide… but just on principle, if I didn’t bring it to the light of day, then should it be seen at all?

And then, of course, where would I be without rummaging through what Sir J.M. Barrie left behind? Who is Mark Twain? could be considered a bit different, since they are completed pieces and not just notes.

So, I’m on the fence once again.

You can find out everything at Harper Studio’s site, Who Is Mark Twain? It includes a fun video of sketches being drawn to illustrate one of Twain’s “new” pieces and it’s narrated by John Lithgow. You’ll also find quotes about Twain from other writers. Clicking on “more” next to Twain pointing will take you to Twainia, where even more fun stuff awaits, including a link to a contest:

There is one incomplete piece in the book. HarperStudio is looking for someone to finish Conversations with Satan. I just might try my hand at it. After all, it’s not like I don’t have practice in the sincerest form of flattery.


ENJOY.

No comments: