Monday, April 13, 2009

The Most Successful Character of All Time?

Even though you'd think I would pick Peter Pan for this honor, I believe the most successful character of all time is the creation of a contemporary of Barrie: A.A. Milne. That's right, Winnie-the-Pooh. He's ubiquitous and people love him. Translated into every so many languages (including Latin), he's known worldwide. Not that other characters aren't, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like Pooh. (Whereas I know people who are turned off by say, Mickey Mouse.) And truthfully, "Classic Pooh" or "Disney Pooh" are equally endearing.


And who can forget the marvelous The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.
If you haven't read it, you're missing out.

2 comments:

Lewelyn-H said...

Winnie The Pooh is my favourite! I read the book when I was a kid, as opposed to Peter Pan which I only read a few years ago.

Did you know that a sequel of AA Milne's stories was being written? As much as I am curious about it, that is one book I will not read...

Anyway, I still have my old copy of The Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, and the VHS of the Disney version (and recently the DVD as well), loads of stuffed toys and I spend ages just walking around the 100 acre Wood in my Kingdom Hearts video games (ever heard of those?) ^^

Peter Von Brown said...

I did know about the new Pooh adventure being written. I nearly mentioned it, but decided to keep it just about the originals.

I suppose I cannot be opposed to it being written, given my own continuation of a classic. But then, I do have a certain qualm about it. After all, I would have thought more Pan to be presumptuous if not for the fact that Barrie wanted more to be done with it himself. I'll reserve judgment of the new Pooh until I have a chance to take a look at it.