Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Is It Monday Yet?

I’m glad to be able to report that the system is working once again.
No, not that one, not yet.
I’m talking about Heroes.
You might recall from these posts that I had acquired a severe disdain for the declining quality and storyline during the Heroes: Villains arc. Fortunately, the show began to redeem itself and by the end of it my fondness returned. I had also read that the writers had a meeting to discern what went wrong and how to fix it. The article outlining the issues can be found here.

Well, their summation of the problems proved correct. All the characters are no longer squeezed into every episode, allowing for better and deeper character and situation development. The characters are people we care about with real problems (who just so happen to have extraordinary abilities) once again. The heart of the show has returned.

Is it the absolute greatest? Well, no. But I’m entertained. When it’s Tuesday or Wednesday and I’m already wishing Monday would arrive, then the magic has definitely returned.

Bravo Tim Kring and associates! Perhaps I should also give a good deal of credit to Bryan Fuller, who returned to Heroes after his offbeat and wonderful Pushing Daisies had been pushed off the air.

And for those of you who are thinking “But they keep repeating certain elements” (such as some kind of agency rounding up people with powers) I say, yes, that’s a valid point. But the way I see it, it’s an aspect of Time itself. Certain scenarios will always happen, no matter how much future and past travelling (or illustrations) done. Think of Time as a house. There are certain support beams that cannot be removed or the structure will fall. You can move from room to room, build extensions or remodel and redecorate each one, but eventually walking past the major structure will occur…again. Time will always try and repair itself, just like Claire.

(Now just bring Hiro and Ando back to an episode - they’ve been gone from the screen too long. And let’s hope Hiro can restore his power. [I think I know how to do it!] The “heroes” will need it/him!)

2 comments:

Lewelyn-H said...

Ok, my heart actually skipped a beat when I saw the pic ^^'

Heroes... Such a big part of my life. (in other terms: Sylar, such a big part of my imaginary life)


Just one thing: I understand how Daphne went back in time to get Hiro, like a dozen episodes ago, but how in the world did she travel forwards after that? Did I miss something?

Is it Tuesday yet? (yeah, Heroes episodes come on Tuesdays for me, viva Francia...)

Peter Von Brown said...

Excellent question, Moira! Hadn't thought of that...
My only idea (and it's not a very good one) is that she went back around the globe the other way a la Superman in the first Christopher Reeve movie. Rather silly, even in the film. But perhaps, if it does apply, it also applies to Daphne?