Sunday, September 5, 2010

Page 326


Waiting for something to load, I picked up my 'baby name book' which I have, of course, to consult for character names.  I opened a page at random and landed on the name Lindford, an Old English place name meaning "Linden tree ford" or "flax ford."  Yeah, okay, so what?  Well, I worked my way down the page, stopping to read about the name Linus and glad for the Peanuts mention, nodded at the not-so-suprising notion that Lionel means "young lion"... and then what do I see?  Llewellyn.  As in Llewellyn Davies, the "adopted family" of Sir J.M. Barrie.

I love "coincindences."

By the way, according to my book there's some discrepency over the meaning of Llewellyn.  Apparently it's "resembling a lion" but another school of thought akins it to "leader."  In either case, the name is of Welsh origin.

2 comments:

Anon said...

Those two definitions seem related to me....

Peter Von Brown said...

I thought so, too.