Thursday, September 2, 2010

NetherNeverland

Well, here's the new face for Peter Pan.
That's actor Charlie Rowe, playing Peter in the SyFy Channel's Neverland.
(The photo is not from the SyFy 4-hour movie event.)
New information has come forth.

I'll say flat out, I'm a bit disinterested.  For one thing, it's going to be a prequel to "Peter Pan."  Not that I object to them doing that... I'm cool with it as long as it's a re-imagining and not meant to be directly contiguous with Barrie's tale.  The fact of it is, though, that I'd looked forward to a re-invention of the story we all know... maybe with flying airship pirates and laser swords and rotating hook hands.  Not that I'm particularly excited for those things.  I just mean I wanted to see it sent into some other style and universe.  Thus, a prequel doesn't quite cut the mustard for me.  It seems to borrow from iconic lore enough, but it doesn't sound very 'Peter Pan' to me, either.  I'll still watch of course, just to see what they do with it.  It's being brought to us from writer/director Nick Willing.  Somehow that's a good match for Darling, so I guess I'm willing, too.

I've borrowed this from MovieWeb, who posted the rest of the story here.
Sweeping in time from the turbulent seas of the pirates of the Caribbean to the back alleys of Dickensian London to a world of pure imagination, Neverland is the inspired origin story of one of the most cherished characters of all time, Peter Pan.

Raised on the streets of turn-of-the century London, orphaned Peter and his pals survive by their fearless wits as cunning young pickpockets. Now, they've been rounded up by their mentor Jimmy Hook to snatch a priceless--some believe, magical--treasure which transports them to another world. Neverland is a realm of white jungles and legendary mysteries of eternal youth, where unknown friends and enemies snatched from time welcome the new travelers with both excitement and trepidation. These groups include a band of 18th century pirates led by the power-mad Elizabeth Bonny, and the Native American Kaw tribe led by a Holy Man, which has protected the secret of the tree spirits from Bonny and her gang for ages - and that has meant war. But as the fight to save this strange and beautiful world becomes vital, Hook, Peter, and the ragamuffin lost boys consider that growing old somewhere in time could be less important than growing up, right here in their new home called Neverland.

Cause for PANic?

1 comment:

Jason A. Quest said...

I've always thought that Rhys Ifans would be good in the role of Fagin; now we'll get to see it. :)