Thursday, April 1, 2010

On Board with Barrie


Last night, I got together with Bart, Banky, Clara and author Andrea Jones. We had one purpose in mind. We broke out a Ouija Board… …and contacted none other than J.M. Barrie!

He had a lot to say, it turns out. He’s been “spinning in his grave” ever since the Disney movie took hold of the world’s perception of Peter Pan. He also seemed quite perturbed about the many books that have come out.

To our relief, he seemed okay with mine and Andrea’s writings on Pan - but not until we clarified some points for him. Andrea needed to reassure him that the sexuality of her book did not undermine the essence of his story. I needed to explain to him why War had to factor into my book.

We asked, and he loved Jeremy Sumpter, Rachel Hurd-Wood and Jason Isaacs as their roles. He thought a television mini-series of the novel would be best, so that nothing had to be fall by the wayside.

Some points he wanted to emphasize:
Hook is not a comical villain. Peter Pan does not wear tights. And his shadow is not alive.

We tried to get him to give an answer as to whether or not the Jolly Roger flies at the end of the story, but alas, he refused.

Not a single one of us will ever forget the experience, though it did seem rather dreamlike, as if it never actually happened at all.

2 comments:

Anon said...

Happy April Fool's Day! (belated)

Michael E. said...

Hi, it's me, Anon!

I still like the imagined responses of J. M. Barrie's, a lot--just as I did when I first read this.

However, I have qualms about Ouija boards, even if they weren't actually used and their very mention was for a joke. The Exorcist may have been fiction but it was inspired by a true story. I avoid such things like the plague, and I encourage others to do the same because I worry about them and I care about them. If I'm going to go beyond my nature, I'll either do it by stories (which isn't really going beyond my nature for real) or wait for God to make the first move (and be sure I know if it really is Him first).

If I were to do an April Fool's Day joke like this I might have said something like I saw his ghost or something.

Just had to get that out there.

I hope you're doing well, and I look forward to more exciting writings in future!