Friday, April 2, 2010

Archie-ry


I'm only a peripheral fan of Archie Comics. I like it well enough, but I'm not very well versed in it. I've been wondering why there hasn't been a live action series of it. Perhaps it would be too hard to get actors to look quite right? I'm not sure, but it just seems the perfect material for a TV series. Sort of a parody-response to shows like 90210 and Dawson's Creek. (Note: I did not actually watch either of those programs, to be honest.) Of course, if Archie & friends did show up on TV, I don't mean that the primary focus should be parody/staire of such programs. An Archie show should live up to the expectations and establishments of the original source.

It could work, I think. It's not like characters from that universe haven't made their way to the "little screen" as animation and also with the live action (and animated) Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Again, I didn't watch it per se, but I did catch some episodes here and there. If I'd been younger when it aired, I would have been all over it.

I believe an Archie movie has been in production hell for some time now. Perhaps it had been killed by the underachieving Josie & the Pussycats movie, which, also to be honest, I very much enjoyed.

I have to also put in a word for the radio program from the 1940's. I wind up hearing the Xmas episode when listening to "Old Time Christmas Radio" during, well, the Holiday Season.

Anyone else think Riverdale needs to hit the TV airwaves?

No comments: