Friday, August 29, 2008

A Used Bookstore Score

Last evening I browsed around a used bookstore that Bart and I frequent. It’s across the street from our favorite sushi restaurant. So I looked, waiting for Bart to arrive. One of the books in the back of my mind that I knew I should probably read happened to be there. I’m quite excited. Coraline by Neil Gaiman. I’d heard of it before, especially since there is a movie in the works. Having seen featurettes on the film, I knew it to be right up my alley. In the most basic terms, it’s about a little girl named Coraline who finds a mysterious door in the house they moved into which leads to a fantastic adventure of some kind. I’m not quite sure what yet…I’ve only just begun. It’s supposed to be scary, too, which could be fun. The movie stars the amazing Dakota Fanning. Also exciting is how the movie is being made. It’s following the lead of James and the Giant Peach. A live-action film until the “other world” begins, which is then stop-motion animation with delightfully odd figurines. Plus, it will be in 3-D. I’m a little on the fence about the 3-D stuff. It’s cool, but I’m not overly into it.

I’m about to start the fourth chapter. As I’ve said before, I usually read in transit. So when I finish, I will give a report. Then, when the movie comes out I can make a comparison. As always, I hope for the rare good adaptation.
Here's the trailer. I have not seen it in a long time. Months, in fact. So I don't recall all that much. I'm not going to watch it again, so as to let the book speak for itself. But you can watch.



Coraline Sewn Up with Slightly Irregular Stitching

No comments: