Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Agree with Jake Morgendorffer


Just a quick gripe.

There's a movie of the comic panel Marmaduke coming out.
I've read Marmaduke in the paper, but only because it had been on the page. I never once laughed at it. Perhaps if I'd grown up with an oversized dog I could have related. So it stands to reason I won't see the movie. (I don't see "dog movies" anyway.)

But here's the gripe: Marmaduke talks in the film. Marmaduke does NOT talk in the comic. Maybe that changed, I don't know. I haven't read it in probably 20 years. So, assuming that the past panels still hold true, even if I had been a Marmaduke fan I would not see the movie based on the talking factor alone.

Bart recently got the complete series of Daria on DVD. Watching one the other day had a line that made me laugh out loud. Daria's father, Jake Morgendorffer, is reading the paper and says, They should just put Marmaduke to sleep.

3 comments:

JAQ said...

This "Marmaduke" movie is just an attempt to use a known "brand" to get people to see a stoopid movie that has nothing to do with the source material. They probably told the screenwriter "It's about a great dane named Marmaduke; see what you can do with that."

Peter Von Brown said...

NEVERTHELESS...

Mel said...

Why didn't they just make a Clifford movie? Oh, wait . . . Clifford doesn't talk either. (Somehow it seems appropriate that my verification word is "catingi." I imagine it's an exclamation ala "bazinga" on Big Bang Theory.)