Monday, July 13, 2009

A-N O-Z


MGM’s The Wizard of OZ is coming out on Blu-Ray.
It is, of course, the umpteenth time the film has worked its way into home video.
So why bother to get this version, too?

Well, besides the enhancement into uber-quality that Blu-Ray provides, Bart tells me that it will include a made for TV series which, I’d venture to guess, very few have seen since its first broadcast:
The Dreamer of OZ
The late, great John Ritter starred as L. Frank Baum in a biopic of how Baum came to create the magical land of OZ. And as far as TV movies go, it’s one of the better ones. I cannot be certain of the absolute accuracy of the production, as I’m not a scholar of Baum as well. (Though in my youth I did a great deal of looking into the history and such of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson [Lewis Carroll].) But I can say with certainty that it is highly entertaining. And I do know that a good deal of it is true. The movie follows him through life, much of which is plagued with hard times, showing his unbreakable spirit in not just creating stories, but his life in general. It's just plain charming.

Apparently this video has been on many people's "demand" list over the years.
And now it will be a special feature on the Blu-Ray.

I had the good fortune to be able to see it more than once, as I recorded it (for private viewing) to VHS tape. It will be nice to see it again in pristine imagery.

So even if you don’t want the OZ film again, at least rent the Blu-Ray version to be able to see this wonderful wizardry of fact and fiction.

No comments: