Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mystical Elegance

- my two word description
of the set for Anung’s First American Christmas.

Yes, I returned to the theatre last night. (Twice, actually. But two different theatres - more in a bit.)

Let me say that my prediction had been correct. The results of the work done are wonderful. (Not that it had been any great feat to predict as such!) Walking in, I beheld a complete dreamcatcher. Even the “web” portion has been colored to match the sinew of the real dreamtime tool. Every detail certainly counts toward the whole effect.

I painted this time - but all the “fun” parts had already been done. It’s best, anyway, to leave that to professionals like Laughter. But now, by my meager hand, the rest of the theatre floor is black, which sets off the…er…set. For the record, Laughter’s Cosmos is much more subtle than the photos I showed. He did have a plethora of pictures much the same, but it’s easy to see why he toned it down. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of shining stars and streaming wufts of color. Just not as prominent. And, of course, it works much better. All part of the elegance. The fabrics, too, have been fancified with hues. It’s marvelous.

I also saw my college prof, the one who wrote the show. (I suppose I should give him a name!) Very nice to see Sparrow again. We chatted about the show a little. Naturally, he asked about Peter Pan’s NeverWorld, too. Sparrow then showed Laughter and me the materials he’ll be using for the Installation. Vitalist Theatre is known for its elaborate ante-room presentations. And Sparrow goes to town on them, for they are his domain. Whether it be bits of literature, photos or actual pieces (in this case branches/trees, antlers, animal skulls, etc.) the decorative and informative display is a theatrical event all its own.

I also chanced to wander through the Green Room. Know what I saw? The puppets, masks and costumes! Wow! Bravo to everyone involved. The puppets are truly remarkable. They are adorable yet reverently realistic of the Animals they represent. I can’t wait to see them in motion. Exquisite work all around. And I’m too curious who wears what and when!

Mighty fine work. Oh, by the way, Laughter says the 40 foot silks are in fact 45 feet.

While Anung rehearsed, I attened The Ville, a series by Bare Boned Theatre. The brainchild of Dragonfly’s beau, Tall Boy (along with Sappho), The Ville is a madcap soap opera depicting the lives of gays and lesbians in Andersonville. Regrettably I have not been able to make every performance in the saga. (A new “episode” begins the first Monday of each month.) But I am quite glad to have seen this one, the musical season finale. Tall Boy wrote all the music and lyrics. He’s quite talented, skilled in not only varying the melodies and tone, but able to wittily convey the story through song. [You know, like an composer and lyricist should! ;) ] Bravo, Tall Boy! And bravo to Sappho and everyone else in the company. It’s quite the amusing show. And yet, for every purposeful over-the-top scenario is an undercut of poignancy and a deeper issue. It’s always a delight.

My first post about Anung's First American Christmas can be found here.

No comments: