Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm B-a-B Finishing the Interquel

The progress report on Peter Pan: Betwixt-and-Between...
just over half done.

Sorry if you were expecting more.  If only I were able to spend every moment working on it.  Alas, that is not to be.  Also, I don't want to rush it.  After all, they're the pictures for the tale and I want to be happy with each and every one.  So far that's true.

Part of the delay process is both selecting which parts to illustrate and another factor lies in what illustrations I am feasibly able to do.  For instance, I'm using actual photos (my own) of Kensington Gardens wherever I can... but not all scenes take place there!  So the hunt for more is on... (one picture in particular is composed of three - and you should have seen Bart get wide-eyed at that news.  He'd no idea that had been the case.) 

More importantly, recall that I wish it to have the 'feel' of the original drawings for both Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and Peter and Wendy.  Sort of a hybrid of the two.  For is it not a story that lies somewhere toward the middle of the two?

I'm not the only one who likes the pictures I have completed, either.  Like I said, Bart's been impressed.  He doesn't placate me, especially when it comes to something important such as pictures for a novel.  [This after I got the "go ahead" from worthy critics Anon* and Andrea Hook & Jill Jones who each saw the first illustration.]

I've also been revising the novel once again.  And that includes "maintenance" so to speak, as I tend to not want a page with, say, only two sentences on it or whatnot.  Sometimes, but not often, such undesirable results wind up unavoidable.  But I'm doing my best to prevent them... without sacrificing the original text.  That can be tricky.  But I'm happy to say that so far it's only caused a better flowing narrative.

And yes, I spent a good portion of the past holiday weekend working on the book.

So hang in there, Pan fans.  I'm only trying to produce something I can crow about!
(I should also mention that the work is going by much more quickly than I anticipated.)

You'll be able to crow about it soon enough.

*Barrie enthusiast and my faithful reader and #1 fan

No comments: