Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Beyond the Words


Here's a progress report since the post Thanks and Thinkings:

The chance of my work Peter Pan: Betwixt-and-Between having a word count "betwixt-and-between" Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and Peter and Wendy has gone out the window! I have just passed the mark which would allow it to have such status. In fact, it will overshoot that mark by a large degree, as I had guessed.

The writing of it is going rather well. As usual, if not actually writing, I'm tinkering with or fleshing out scenes, doing research and setting the story up in my head. It's rather like a dance of those elements. And right now I'd been writing and looked down to realize I've surpassed the middle-ground word count.

The proper adventures on the island called the Neverland have just begun, so plenty of story remains to be written. Thus, it very well may be a novel rather than a novella. For as I said before, I also have to go back and expand the "placeholder" bits (i.e. the parts of the story where I've not composed the actual text but a quick runthrough of the events in order to be able to move on to a part that interests me more.) There are only about two of those at this point. But given all the rest of what's to come for Pan as well as those... it may reach the 50,000 milestone. For now, it remains to be seen.

But it is all coming together nicely. Rather than being just a partially written story idea I've had for some time now, I'm truly starting to feel as if I've sealed up the glaring gap in the life of Peter Pan.

No comments: