Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thanks for the Happy Thoughts, Pan Fans!

I'd like to express my gratitude to all of those who have been pondering about Peter Pan and the "world" of Sir J.M. Barrie to me lately. A special thanks to Hook & Jill author Andrea Jones (with whom I've been discussing quite a bit) and also to my faithful reader 'Anonymous' (who has the most wonderful insights.)

It's been quite a pleasure for me, getting me "back," as it were, into the magic of Barrie. Other than presenting Peter Pan's NeverWorld, my own written worlds have been taking up my time. But the exchanges have me looking back through the play & other works, thinking too hard over the particulars and playing with Pan in general. It's brought me not only the joy of returning, but has been refreshing my memory. It seems I'd been away from the Neverland too long. (Or else I resemble Pan too much.)

It has another benefit, too. Even before I read Hook & Jill I've been hearing from Peter Pan, Denny and some other characters - expanding on the ideas I'd had in place for future stories. It's been great. I just might have to fly back to NeverWorld soon... ...but other characters in other stories await me as well! (Glad to have this 'problem.')

Thanks for caring and sharing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, you're welcome! ^_^

I have to say, that really made my day, seeing myself mentioned in the blog--this on top of getting my copy of "Peter Pan's NeverWorld" (finally) yesterday and staying up late to finish it (could not put it down!) is making me feel like I'm starting to levitate myself!

And since I've read it, I can now officially say "awesome"! :D Not since "Peter and Wendy" have I seen that level of depth, of very sophisticated themes, cleverly disguised as a children's fairy tale and sequel to a beloved classic! I won't spoil anyone reading this reply with particulars, but "Peter Pan in Scarlet" sure didn't have that (closest that got was the horrible tacked-on ending)!

And I enjoyed reading about the old/new character who you've endowed with a lot of complexity and personality--it made me wonder why Barrie never got around to exploring that element of the tale....

In short, well done! ^_^

Peter Von Brown said...

Wow, thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. What author doesn't want to hear they kept someone up late? Nice to hear it worked on more than one level for you, too. Such kind words you have for me. Much gratitude to you, for you say I made your day, but I'd say you made mine.

Although I enjoy the "mystique" of you being "The" Anonymous [it reminds me Anon: A Play as Barrie wrote on the first draft] I would love for you to post your review on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Either way, I'm so glad that my pleasure became one of yours. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU! ^_^

And I might do that, especially since you've got two reviews on amazon and NONE on barnesandnoble.com? :S

Personally I like the idea of going into greater detail regarding my thoughts about it to you specifically (since you know your own story and can't be spoiled) but I definitely think it's good to spread the word in hopes that others might have the pleasure! ^_^

Peter Von Brown said...

I do appreciate spoiler-free discussions. However, the basic storyline is also online. And I've mentioned Michael on the blog.

If you do wish to discuss it further, feel free to contact me:
peter@petervonbrown.com