Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lost in the Woods...

I apologize.
I pulled a Peter Pan maneuver.
I went away with saying anything first...

Bart, his father, aunt, a family friend and I whisked off to Door County, Wisconsin, for an extended weekend. We had a lovely time. It's just a great place to do the proverbial "nothing" and take it slow. My favorite part is always seeing the stars. Here in the city the lights overshadow the heavens. But in a clearing in the woods (where with the car lights off one cannot see one's hand in front of one's face) the very Milky Way shines above. When there I think about Ancient Peoples. How amazing the stars are to me, even with all the crammed in knowledge about their nature from schooling, etc. But to be enclosed in absolute darkness...with a multitude of glimmering pinpricks and washes of shimmering cloudiness... what it must have been like to experience. No wonder the Woods held such a grip on the imagination, fear and storytelling. The forests of Shakespearean plays, for instance, come alive anew. It's inspiring to say the least.

I'm sorry to have flown without warning. I'll try not to let it happen again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! ^_^

And I can definitely relate to the fear--even in my urban backyard, staring at the constellations makes me disoriented, like how astronauts must feel.... It feels like I'm going to fall off the earth and toward the stars, but not like falling UP but SIDEWAYS.... >.>

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned you're not forgiven, there being nothing to forgive! ^_^