Friday, April 3, 2009

21st Century Storytelling 1.0

My cyber travels led me to an inventive new form of storytelling. And I mean 'form' literally. It's the brainchild of David Nygren, and it's a novexcel. An Excel spreadsheet novel. Yes, a story told using one column for the action, another for dialogue and separate columns for each character's thoughts.

He created a short story (at least so far) called Under the Table.

It's rather clever. And it's not just the novelty [pun noted]. It works rather well. I found myself quickly adapting to the lateral narrative. You can read about its origins and also find the link to download it here.

Word of warning, however. Under the Table is about relationships and is rather explicit, as well as contains foul language.

21st Century Storytelling 2.0

No comments: