Friday, January 16, 2009

I Do Not Read! (This genre normally...)

I’m currently reading I Am Not a Cop! by Richard Belzer (with Michael Black.) It’s not my usual type. But I saw him on a talk show plugging the book. I don’t remember which one, as I also don’t normally watch talk shows except for Ellen. But when I turned on the TV, “Live TV” (as opposed to TiVo) showed Mr. Belzer and I started listening.

The book sounded very intriguing and fun. It’s kind of a real life fiction. As you’re probably aware, he plays on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Likewise, I don’t normally watch the show. I don’t actually watch any of the “crime” programs such as that one. I recognize their merit, however they’re not my cup of tea. But Bart is rather fond of SVU, so I see snippets or the occasional episode every third blue moon. I also know Mr. Belzer from his other work and comedy. So anyway, the book is about him, as an actor on SVU. But it’s a work of fiction in that he winds up stumbling into a crime/mystery and suddenly his real (though fictionalized) life mirrors his TV persona. You can see how that would attract me.

So, I put it my list for Xmas presents, since some people like to have those handy for ideas of what to get people. (I’m not one of them, but I make the list for those that are. I prefer to surprise and be surprised.)

I’m not very far into it. But I am enjoying it. It’s exactly what he described...and every bit as entertaining as I imagined. It’s “impossible” for me not to hear Mr. Belzer delivering the lines. Especially because his sardonic nature is not lacking.

I’ll give a report when I’m done. Um... do I need to file it?

No comments: