Friday, January 8, 2010

Planning the Neverland Arrival


I don’t know whether you have ever seen a map of a person’s mind…
There are zigzag lines on it, just like your temperature on a card…
- J.M. Barrie
Peter and Wendy


That’s how my mind feels right now. Or at least it describes my current process of writing.

As you may know, I’ve gone back to Barrie’s world to finish my interquel novel Peter Pan: Betwixt-and-Between. In a nutshell, it bridges the gap between Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and Peter and Wendy.* In order to do so, I’ve been zig-zagging back and forth between ideas scampering around in my mind (both new ones and playful thoughts which have been skipping about for some time) and back into Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, over to my notes, back toward research (both Barrie and otherwise) and again to the Barrie book, to my book… here, there, back again…you get the idea. Oh sure, this sort of activity happens all the time when writing a novel. But I do believe much more so this go around, as I’m contending with Barrie’s universe in addition to my own work.

Having re-read his prequel story, I came upon quite a few bits which struck me in a new light. So I’ll be using more elements from the original to craft my tale. I’ll need to insert some scenes into what I’ve already written. But no matter - as I’ll enjoy doing so. I’m following my general rule of writing out of sequence. I have a couple spots with “placeholder” text, detailing in most general terms the nature of the action and dialogue. I’ve also chopped out a few chunks, both large and small.

And last night, after staying up way too late working on it… I lay in bed, unable to think about anything but this story. Then an idea came. One I could not ignore, one I built upon then and there…next, quite possibly what are to be the final two lines of the novel. I had to leap back out of bed to write it down.

So, in essence, it’s going well. I’m pleased, as all of the additions and cuts will strengthen the novel immensely. Puzzle pieces are falling into place.

And I have YET to get through all that I’ve written thus far upon the first go at this novel, having revised and reworked and backtracked and consulted and…
okay, never never mind…

* Note: It does not bridge the entire gap of the books.

No comments: