Friday, October 16, 2009

The Quill Be Not Quelled...


Last night when I went to do something or other on my computer, I wound up clicking on something entirely else. I knew what I should have been doing, but instead, I followed this other route of drags and clicks. What caused the sudden turn of activity? I’m going with “fictional character interruption.”

Yes, folks, last “night” in the wee hours of the morning, if you want to get technical about it, I took the first steps on the novel I’ve been saying that I will get back to someday soon. It’s the third in a series of four. However, it’s really the final part of the series, as the last book is a prequel (meant to be read fourth which tells the “real story” of what happened in ages past.)

Don’t get too excited, though, for all it really entailed: Redesigning the “title logo” I made about five or so years ago and rewriting the first half of the opening line. I’m happy to say that both are a vast improvement. By leagues. Plus, I’ve been thinking about the story quite a bit lately, doing some preliminary research and hearing from the main character. So it won’t be long now.

The best part, of course, is that I will be able to write whatever I’d like first. By which I mean I can return to writing a novel out of sequence. As a general rule, I find it best to first write the parts that excite me. Since I have an outline to follow, I don’t get lost along the way. However, the past three novels I’d been working on required me to write in sequence. By the nature of each piece, for a different reason on each, it behooved me to compose in chronological order. I’m quite glad to be rid of this stipulation. (Although when I go to finish the one on the back-burner I might have to follow the actual timeline again. There’s a chance I won’t as I’ve reached a certain place in the novel and it may no longer require me to do so…we’ll see.)

At any rate, I’m happy to say that I can’t deny I am working on another novel.

No comments: