Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gobble Gobble!

Here’s a book from my childhood. Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende and Harry Devlin. I remember my brother and I reading this one together. We each had a theory. A theory of what? As to whole stole Grandmother’s secret recipe! It’s a cute story about Thanksgiving Day in New England. To Grandmother’s dismay, Maggie invites the dubious character of Mr. Whiskers. At the table the turkey is not the star attraction, but Grandmother’s cranberry bread. The festivities turn sour when her recipe is, yes, purloined!

The illustration of the shifty Mr. Whiskers gave me the heebie-jeebies. Creepily sketched strands of his beard, moustache and eyebrows call for a “Bravo!” to the Devlins. As I searched for more information (to assist my failing memory) on the book, I discovered that I am not alone. The reviews are always glowing. Both for the story and the included “famous” recipe.

Unfortunately, it is no longer in print. Online sales of it start at $40.
I’ll bet the Recipe that my parents still have it in their house.

A special GIVING of THANKS to everyone who has ever helped me and for all the blessings in our lives. No, really.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: