Friday, April 15, 2011

A Cheer for a Great CHAP

I learned from Google that today is the
122 anniversary
of the date of Charlie Chaplin's birth.

I don't know about you, but I wave my bowler hat (yes, I do have one) at Mr. Chaplin.  Talk about an innovator and a genius! 

Here's a bit of trivia for you...
Chaplin failed to even reach the finals when he entered a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.

And here's another... he has ties to the beloved boy antihero.
Yes.
Barrie wanted Charlie Chaplin not only to direct the* screen adaptation of Peter Pan, he wanted Chaplin to star as the eternal boy as well!

Imagine what THAT would have been like, eh?

UPDATE:  Apparently Chaplin had been born on the 16th and Google started celebrating on the 15th.  Go figure.  Sorry for trusting them to use his actual date and not re-looking it up.  Sigh.


*Word "the" used since it would have been the first live-action screen version of the tale of Peter Pan.
That honor didn't get claimed until 82 years later, by P.J. Hogan.

1 comment:

Michael E. said...

Hi, it's me, Anon.

How is it that I didn't comment on this before?!

Maybe it's just as well, now that I've learned some things I didn't know five years ago. J. R. R. Tolkien sold the film rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to United Artists, co-founded by Charlie Chaplin--and while he'd left it since, Chaplin was still alive at the time. I find it fascinating to see how many connections there are--and I'm grateful to the Lord that my memory is so good that I can keep track of multiple branches (though sometimes it does feel overwhelming).

I still haven't seen any of Charlie Chaplin's films, though.

Thanks for this blog entry! Sorry I missed it in so many years....