Friday, April 1, 2011

Blazes! The Name!

I know I said I'd closed the book on Hook, but I wound up poking around a little bit after thinking about something Andrea Jones had told me.  I couldn't leave it alone.  I mean after all, she wrote Hook & Jill for Pete's sake, so I flew back into the texts and scoured the history books to see if I could make it out.

In Peter and Wendy, Barrie writes:
Hook was not his true name. To reveal who he really was would even at this date set the country in a blaze; but as those who read between the lines must already have guessed, he had been at a famous public school; and its traditions still clung to him like garments, with which indeed they are largely concerned.

Well, friends, I would be a fool not to tell you that I deciphered this riddle.  Without getting into the whole delineation of the path to pluck this from the depths of filed imagination in a historical context, I shall now present to you the real identity of Captain Jas. Hook of the Jolly Roger.  He is none other than the personage mentioned in Peter and Wendy in this line:  Wendy thought Napoleon could have got it, but I can picture him trying, and then going off in a passion, slamming a door.  And it also explains why said personage is often depicted with his right hand hiding in his vestments.

So glad that's solved on this, the first day of April.

1 comment:

Anon said...

Now we know why Hook singled John out, don't we?