Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Where's That Dang Crocodile?

To quote a cliche: How time flies!

It's been just about a week and I've not posted anything. My apologies to regular readers. I'm sure you know what happened... I had things to do, places to be (that old drill) and time just got away from me. And yes, I had also been writing Peter Pan: Betwixt-and-Between during that time. In fact, I've come up with a "tagline" for it, too. Bart loves it... and I also bounced it off Andrea Hook & Jill Jones, who is likewise fond of it. I'll reveal it later, of course.

A couple Peter Pan related items I've found since last post:

The band Kula Shaker has a new single out: "Peter Pan R.I.P." I sorry to say I'm not that much of a fan of this song. No, the title/subject idea has nothing to do with it. Truth is, I rather like Kula Shaker. Their song "Tattva," to put it in a creative way, spins my soul the other way around when I hear it. And many of their other pieces I enjoy very much. Unfortunately, for me, this Peter Pan song does nothing for me. It's just not as engaging somehow. On a non-aesthetic level, I also don't fully understand it. Evidence more than suggests that Peter Pan is far from dead. Perhaps they're saying kids grow up too fast today? My other guess (and this is probably it) is that it refers to Michael Jackson. (Jackson's self-proclaimed Peter Pan-ness never [ha!] sat right with me in the first place - not to mention that his "Neverland Ranch" had Disney Pan sculptures in it.) That all said, it doesn't say much about Peter Pan at all. At any rate, I wish I could be more of fan of Kula Shaker's new song. You can listen to it here, if you like (in the little music player top right side.) [At least at the time of this posting, the song is/had been available.]

There's a re-release of a book called Neverland by Douglas Clegg. I admit I have not read it, but from what I can gather it is not about Pan's island. Though it does take place on an island...hence the title. Actually, there are other reasons. It's a horror novel touching on some of the themes from Barrie's masterpiece.

Neverland is the story of a dysfunctional southern family summer-vacationing on a Georgia island of badly faded glory, and of the horror that washes over them, literally like a hurricane, when the children turn an abandoned shack into their clubhouse and discover there dark secrets about the family, the island's history, the supernatural, and ultimately themselves.

As the title suggests, themes and elements from J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan figure prominently, such as imagination, the wish never to grow up, and even the fantasy of enchanted flight.

- quoted from The Groovy Age of Horror

(If the title of this post is too cryptic, I'm referring to the Croc in Barrie's story, of course, and the idea that when you want to know the time in the Neverland you need to find her.)

No comments: