Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Flash in the Pan

The way I heard it, the creators of 1980 Flash Gordon movie expected to have a grand space epic on their hands. They believed it to be of a high calibre. In other words, they didn't see it as a cheesy mess to be laughed at (or with, depending on your view.) And that's what it is - a mess. I knew the Queen song from the movie and loved it to pieces. Still do. The sound bytes in it are delicious over-the-top wackiness that will always give me a smile. How many times have I found myself saying, Flash! Flash! I love you! But we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth! with reckless abandon? Too many. Sadly, though, this controlled silliness did not carry over into the film. I'm sorry, I couldn't even get into it as campy fun. (For the record, I did not like the recent TV series either.)

Now a new Flash Gordon movie is in the works.
The way I heard it, they're going for the camp factor.
Which got me to thinking... can one set out to make a campy "cult" style and succeed?
Or do these only develop from a film made in earnest that goes horribly awry?
I don't necessarily have an answer either way.
What do you think?

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

I am sure you'll disagree- but I felt like "Hairspray" straddled that line pretty well. Pretty campy (and self-awaredly so-- is that a word?) but also a great remake.