Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Day for News – Both Good & Bad


Well, today I learned that the great Arthur C. Clarke has passed on. A visionary. His contributions to the craft of storytelling will continue to entertain, instruct and inspire. A sincere farewell, bow and thank you, sir.

On my way home today, my iPod (which more often than not randomizes from my entire music collection) decided to play “Mr. Roboto.” After chuckling about Austin Powers' recent revival of it, I settled onto the line “my brain IBM” long before actually sung. I stopped and thought how cool of Clarke to name the infamous computer, HAL, by dropping one letter in the alphabet each time. A wonderful disguise and device, it works beautifully. I arrived home to discover the news.

Oddly enough, this coincides with the good news.
Clarke's quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" helped inspire the book that went into production today.


Yes, that’s right, today a bit of magic happened through technology. My novel Peter Pan’s NeverWorld will soon be available! [Insert joyous expression of your choice here.] By estimation, “soon” means within four months. Naturally, I’m susceptible to Murphy’s Law like everyone else but…I’ll for sure keep you posted.


No comments: