Thursday, May 10, 2012

Not SO Horrible

Well, well, well...


There seems to be another remake I can see the merit of doing. Granted, I'm not chomping at the bit for it, nor do I even particularly want it... but at least they've picked something that makes sense rather than another slipshod watering-down of a movie that had been just fine as is.

Roger Corman's classic Little Shop of Horrors. Yeah, okay, it could be fun to see a visually stunning man-eating plant. Right?

I must admit I have not seen the original movie all the way through. Cuttings of it, yes. I have, however, seen the musical movie. And then I'd been perturbed to discover they gave it a happy ending. Seeing the Broadway revival had been a real treat (what with 6 different Audrey II [plant] puppet/contraptions - the final of which moved its giant bulbous head/mouth over the entire audience!)

I sure hope they have the ending from the non-movie musical. (Good gracious, I don't know Corman's actual ending!)

But at least this Hollywood hootennany has a modicum of sense.  Replant.

1 comment:

Anon said...

I've seen the original Roger Corman movie. Kind of weird when you're used to the musical, especially at the beginning--you almost wonder if you've got the right movie at all.

As for the movie itself, I don't want to spoil anything but I'll say the following: it's not as good as the musical. It's dumb, but in a good way--a way that can still be enjoyable. And it actually helps make some sense out of the two musical versions (stage and movie).

Let me know what you think if you ever see it. It may not be so easy to find the DVD--my copy has got Jack Nicholson on the cover even though he only has a small role, as the masochistic dental patient (the Bill Murray character from the movie musical).