Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pan-o-rama Perception

Now that I have gotten over the wide-eyed thrill of seeing my book appear for sale on Amazon, I suppose I have to get back to work...and posting.

Not that I have been relaxing. But I certainly haven't been posting.
Plenty of work lies ahead on promoting the novel and I've been attending to that.

From the current reading of the poll on this site, about half as many of you said No, you would not go with Pan. I only know of one of the rationales for this response, which admittedly to me seems a bit curious. Perhaps you're frightened of what the Neverland (or NeverWorld, for that matter) would hold? Or is the thought of his putting up with his cockiness just too much to bear? Frankly, I'd like to know. :)

So, in the meantime, I leave it up to you. Tell me:
What does Peter Pan mean to you? What do you think about the fantasy of Sir J. M. Barrie?
For example: Maybe you think Peter Pan is foolish for his forever-fun pursuits? Or that Wendy should have stayed with him? Do you tend to flit with the fancy of it or gravitate toward the more grave aspects? Are there re-interpretations you particularly enjoy? (Such as that Pan could be a vampire. [Think about it if you haven't...comes to your window, never ages, flies] The Lost Boys developed around this concept, by the way.) Anything you've always wanted to pontificate or rant about the Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up? How do you perceive the story?
Now's your chance!
Don't worry, you won't be judged.

2 comments:

dbz said...

turning 37 soon ... to me, Peter Pan embodies the desire to stay young and have fun but without authority hovering over you - simplistic and easy, I know, but sometimes, things really are simplistic and easy

Danielle Filas said...

I originally responded that I'd only go if my friends could go... And I admit some shock that not many people chose that option! But as you've asked us to really consider this question more deeply, I might want to change my answer that I wouldn't go. As adults, we tend to recall childhood as a time of innocence and ultimate happiness. But really, a lot about childhood sucks. How many of us spent a good portion of our growing years suffering caused by our peers? How many of us were stuffed in lockers, given wedgies, teased for physical maladies, ganged up on, or otherwise made miserable?

I'd love to regain the sense of wonder and invincibility I once owned as a child, but I have found a lot I like about being an adult. I now have the power to affect change, I can now make my dreams reality, and I can enjoy more complex food, art, and relationships.

No thanks. Y'all go right ahead. I'll stay here and grow old reading the book!